What is the "right-of-way"?
Right-of-way (ROW) is land which is owned by the City to provide a location for the construction of streets, alleys, sidewalks, and utilities. Typically, the width of public ROW is 50, 60, or 64 feet, although other widths may occur. ROW is always wider than the street. If a 50-foot wide ROW has a 26-foot wide street, then there is a 12-foot wide area behind the curb on both sides of the street which is owned by the City, providing that street is centered in the ROW. Property owners cannot encroach upon public ROW with fences, walls, or buildings since this may conflict with the use of ROW for utilities and sidewalks. For more information visit Zoning

Show All Answers

1. What are the business hours at City Hall?
2. Who do I contact when my garbage has not been picked up?
3. How do I find out who my alderman is?
4. Where do I obtain a copy of the City Council agenda or meeting minutes?
5. How do I contact a city department?
6. How do I apply for a job with the City?
7. Can I pay my utility bill online or over the phone?
8. What number do I call for a non-emergency situation?
9. How do I request a street light for my neighborhood?
10. I have a sump pump for my house. Where can I drain the water?
11. When and where does the City Council meet?
12. How do I have an item placed on a Committee of the Whole agenda?
13. What is the "right-of-way"?
14. How do I dispose of large items, such as appliances and furniture?
15. How do I dispose of my leaves?
16. How do I reserve a park shelter?
17. Can I meet with the city inspectors?
18. What work requires a building permit?
19. How do I obtain a building permit?